Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hmmm... cornmeal and no flour... I'm so hungry

There's a big old pot of beans on the stove. Again. Really, you can only eat so many beans before the thoughts of robbing the grocery store set in.

I started looking through the paltry pantry, which is at its bitter end, at the moment. Well, there's corn meal, I thought. I wonder how awful it would be just fried up in a pan, the way I make pan-fried bread. I had no idea.

So I threw it together in a bowl, added salt, pepper, thyme and water. I spread it out in the frying pan in pretty hot oil. After a few minutes, I used the spatula to slide under the "patty" to pry it up and keep it from sticking too bad. So far, so good.

When it came time to flip it however, the trouble started. It would not hold together. I had actually separated the burnt on crust from the softer inside, with the spatula earlier. It just kinda fell apart.

I almost gave up at that point, but I decided to take a hard wooden spatula and scrape the stuck on parts up. I then just started turning it frequently and scraping stuck pieces up again and again. After a bit it was pretty fairly "cooked" with little crunchy burnt on parts and softer inside parts. I decided to give it a go, before I tossed it.

Hmmm.... tastes just like cornbread stuffing. Actually not bad, Kenzie and Shana agreed. So, I poured beans on top of it, and dinner is served.

No comments:

Post a Comment